Monday, January 26, 2009

Banana Bread- No Oil

I can't stand pouring cupfuls of oil into my cakes and such. The thought of it really makes me ill. In cake mixes, I just omit it all together. I don't substitute applesauce or anything, and you really can't tell.

Now, banana bread is a little trickier. It is a little heavier than normal, but I love the taste of it and it doesn't leave my mouth or hands greasy. It is filling and a slice makes a good breakfast. This recipe came from the dessert cook at the Morris Center at BYU. When I worked there, she developed a whole menu of low fat entrees, and was kind enough to give me this recipe:

3 egg whites
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup water
3 mashed, ripe bananas
4 cups flour (you can even substitute 1 cup with whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix it all together. Spray pans with Pam and dust with flour. Pour in mixture. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes (30-35 in mini loaf pans.)

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Hi, Min. I am Emalee's aunt. I just found your blog. Looks good! Here's a hint on making things without oil, and making it a bit more healthy. Use flax seed. If you grind it fresh, it is best. It really doesnt change the taste in what you are making, but the oil is healthy. It also adds extra fiber. My kids tease me all the time about putting flax in everything. And I do. Seriously!