Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Italian Pasta Bake

We have been eating less meat than we used to... going on a year now... Merrill is the omnivore. This is one meaty dish he requests every time I am planning the menu:
Italian Pasta Bake
Short pasta (I like Penne), make enough for all who intend to chow down
your favorite spaghetti sauce (you can add browned ground beef if you'd like, Mer likes it with)
pepperoni, diced
mozzarella cheese (other cheeses work well too, I like parmesan and asiago myself...)
mushrooms if you'd like...
So you cook the pasta until it's al dente... coat the bottom of 9x13 pan (or whatever size you choose...) with some of the sauce. Layer in cooked pasta, then cheese, pepperoni (I usually mix mine in with the sauce, makes it easier...) mushrooms (if you like 'em), then sauce. Continue layering (I usually get 2 layers) until your pasta is all in the dish. Make sure you end with sauce as your top layer or you'll end up with an unintended crunchy topping.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, you want it heated through. Top with more cheese, and let it melt.
Oooeey Goooeey goodness!

1 comment:

Six-Pack Momma said...

'Pasta al Forno' as the Italian's call it! Your recipe sounds yummy! I'll give it a try!