Sunday, February 8, 2009

The BEST roll/dough recipe!

Hi guys! I'm new here. But I am excited to look over your recipes and add a few of my own. Hooray for good ideas!

I have been asked for this recipe several times now. It is so versatile. I have baked cinnamon rolls and fried scones with the all white flour version. The half white/wheat version makes fabulous rolls. They are very moist and taste really really good.

One thing I like about the recipe so much is that it doesn't have to rise twice. Make the dough, shape into whatever, and then let rise and bake. It makes for a fast roll since the dough really raises fast. I rarely get dinner started early enough to make a full fledged twice rising dough.
Here it is....

Suzy's Spectacular Rolls

1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
Blend together well and add -

2 c. scalded milk
2 eggs

Dissolve yeast in water and then add to the slightly cooled mixture.
2 TB yeast
1/2 cup water

Then add 7 c. flour. (3 c. wheat, 4 c. white or any combination) Just as a side note, if I do more than 3 c. wheat, the rolls don't turn out quite as good. I like the texture of the 3 c. wheat/4 c. white combination. With all of the flour white, it makes excellent doughnuts, scones, and unbelievable cinnamon rolls.

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown) depending on what you are making. Do not overbake!

*To make crescent shaped rolls (my favorite) cut the dough into two sections and roll/shape each section into a circle about 10 - 12 inches in diameter. Brush with softened butter. Cut into pizza slices (8 slices per circle) and roll from the wide end to the narrow end. Bend slightly to make crescent shape and place on a cookie sheet with the pointy part under the roll.

Yum!

No comments: